Information

Address:
640 Bay Road
Queensbury, New York 12804
Phone: 518-743-2260
Fax: 518-745-1442

https://www.sunyacc.edu

Contact Person: Teresa Ronning - 518-743-2260

About

SUNY Adirondack, also known as Adirondack Community College, is located just outside the borders of the Adirondack Park in the town of Queensbury. The college’s library is home to a local history collection called the William and Elsie Hill Collection, more commonly known as the Hill Collection. The Hill Collection a research collection of over 1,600 historical books, serials, pamphlets, letters, clippings, manuscripts and other material. Its primary focus is the regional history of the Glens Falls area (the Adirondacks, Warren and Washington Counties, and nearby Vermont). The material dates from mid-eighteenth century to present. William Hart Hill was a historian, author of several books and collector of regional history material. He was interested specifically in Washington County and Fort Edward. Mr. Hill also operated the Newton and Hill Hardware store in Fort Edward. His store supplied much of the dynamite used in mines in the Adirondacks. Mrs. Hill donated a portion of Mr. Hill’s materials to Adirondack Community College in 1978. Among the collection’s items are scrapbooks of original letters and articles compiled by Mr. Hill, county and town histories, and books on events and people instrumental in the region’s history, including the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. The Library’s online catalog lists these items. The Hill Collection Advisory Committee, a group of historians in the community, serves to advise the SUNY Adirondack Library on the holdings and management of the Hill Collection. Materials from the Hill Collection can be accessed during normal library hours. For more information about The Hill Collection, please visit http://library.sunyacc.edu/hillcollection.