PO Box 286
Long Beach, New York 11561 Phone: 516-432-1192
Contact Person: Carol Simon
The Long Beach Historical Museum, a U.S. Dept. of the Interior National Register site, is owned and maintained by the Society as the locale for its headquarters and archive. Purchased by the Society in 1997, the 1909 two-story Craftsman-style house is one of the original Estates of Long Beach summer residence villas. Its white stucco exterior, crowned with a red tile roof is situated on a five lots wide plot, in keeping with the covenants placed by Sen. William Reynolds for the creation of his planned community.
The floor plan is typical of the early 20th century. The first floor has a living room and dining room to either side of the main hall. The walls have been rehabilitated or refinished with appropriate period-style paint and wallpaper. The original wood trim on the ceilings, walls, windows and doors attest definitively to the Craftsman design period. Of particular note is the original dark Lincrusta (linseed oil, wood pulp fabric) between the wood panels below the plate rail in the dining room. The kitchen, pantry and rear storage room are used by the trustees are not open to the public.
Large stained glass windows are a hallmark of Long Beach Estates architecture and the Historical Museum has several of notable design. The four bedrooms on the second floor house the archives and work associated with the Society's mission of historical preservation and education. The goal is to one day have several of these rooms rehabilitated and furnished in the Craftsman style and open to visitors.